Newest Gnome versus LTS

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 10:12:19 UTC 2019

On 17/07/2019, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 10:55:44 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>>So while checking a version of a package, you should always also check
>>its patchlevel [1].
>
> Right now I wanted to explain this, too, by another post scriptum :).
>
> However, security maintenance requires some user action. The users get
> informed by notices provided by the security teams, as soon as security
> flaws are known, even if fixes do not exist. To care about this is not
> only required related to packages, but also related to hardware. Does
> vendor foo still provide fixed microcode/firmware for old hardware?
> People are wining about 32-bit support dropped by several Linux
> distros, but they ignore that the old hardware is a security risk,
> discontinued and unsupported since long ago.

Nowadays, all computer users, especially the users who access the
Internet or World Wide Web (which runs on top of the Internet), should
subscribe to and monitor incoming CERT advisories;

"
A copy of this publication is available at www.us-cert.gov [
https://www.us-cert.gov ]. If you need help or have questions, please
send an email to info at us-cert.gov. Do not reply to this message since
this email was sent from a notification-only address that is not
monitored. To ensure you receive future US-CERT products, please add
US-CERT at ncas.us-cert.gov to your address book.

OTHER RESOURCES: Contact Us [ http://www.us-cert.gov/contact-us/ ] |
Security Publications [ http://www.us-cert.gov/security-publications ]
| Alerts and Tips [ http://www.us-cert.gov/ncas ] | Related Resources
[ http://www.us-cert.gov/related-resources ]

STAY CONNECTED: Sign up for email updates [
http://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSUSCERT/subscriber/new ]
"

>From memory, the CERT was previously a part of Carnegie Mellon
University, then it got taken over by the USA government.

The advisories are free, and, worthwhile.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."