Off subject but I need help

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Jul 17 00:05:18 UTC 2019

On Tuesday 16 July 2019 15:29:40 Karl Auer wrote:

> On Tue, 2019-07-16 at 13:42 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Tuesday 16 July 2019 12:06:43 Peter wrote:
> > > My telephone and internet services have been converted to NBN.
> >
> > Vote with your wallet, and get connected to a service that works.
>
> For those not in Oz, the short short story is that one government came
> up with a great idea (a national broadband network), but the then
> opposition perverted the idea into a parody of itself, won government,
> and "delivered" a shockingly underpowered, sad little shadow of what
> might have been, condemning Australia to being at least ten to fifteen
> years behind the times or until until it is inevitably replaced with
> what it should have been in the first place. Whichever is longer.
>
> One key aspect of this pathetic system is that the then incumbents,
> including the mightiest, most advanced network in the country,
> Telstra's, were forced, by law, not to compete with the NBN. Why?
> Because the NBN was supposed to be *profitable* and to pay back its
> cost. These tiny-minded bureaucrats wanted to make this network
> independently *profitable*, unable to see that the benefits to every
> sector of industry and society of having such a network would vastly
> outweigh the direct cost. The requirement that the network pay for
> itself, and provide a direct return on investment, has absolutely
> dominated every meaningful decision around it, and completely crippled
> the network - which ironically means it will never, ever be
> profitable.
>
> So for most people, voting with their wallet is not possible.

Temporarily true, Karl. But do your ballot boxes still work? If so you
can get on the road to fixing it by voting that bunch of numbskulls out
when they next stand for that office.  And don't allow them to play
shuffleboard between industry and gov office regulating that industry
(and back) like we've done waaay too many times.

> There ya go - now you are up to speed. Which on the NBN is not
> guaranteed to be more than 12Mb/s. Welcome to the lucky country.

I can get a gigabyte, all I have to do is pay for it.

> Regards, K.

>~ Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
> http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
> http://twitter.com/kauer389
>
> GPG fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D
> Old fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis