Changing desktops - Was: (not) one browser for all

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 20:19:45 UTC 2019

Hey there,

Bret Busby wrote:

>I have just seen, in the message from Liam, that you (Little Girl (I
>feel uneasy using that name) ) are also using UbuntuMATE, 16.04.x.

Sorry about that. It's my former CB handle and pertains to size
rather than age, but I can see why it might be better to phase it
out. I'm Elliria.

>It is the best OS that is currently supported (I do note that a
>recent CERT advisory, advises that Microsoft has surprisingly
>released a particular security update in the last month, for Windows
>XP).

I didn't realize that. I don't keep up with the older versions of
that operating system, but just keep the latest version on my work
computer in case it's needed since many businesses require that you
have it.

>I recommend that you stay with UbuntuMATE 16.04.x. It has another
>couple of years of (supported) life, so, unless you need to change,
>I would stay with it.

It's not currently failing for me in any way, but I'd like to upgrade
to the new LTS since each LTS is behind the times on much of its
software as a direct result of its stability strategy. There must be
at least a few features that I'm missing out on in the more recent
versions of some of my favorite programs.

Getting up the motivation to go through the process of upgrading is
another matter, though, so I may just take advantage of the
longer-than-expected support and wait a while to do the upgrade. I
know the installation doesn't take long, but all the little tweaks
and adjustments that need to be made end up taking several days to
do and I always find an excuse to put that off.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.