Changing desktops - Was: (not) one browser for all

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 17:31:44 UTC 2019

Hey there,

Liam Proven wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 at 18:54, Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> I've been shamefully bad and am still using Ubuntu MATE 16.04 (soon
>> to be replaced by Kubuntu 18.04 since at least one of the changes
>> to Ubuntu MATE 18.04 is an absolute show-stopper for me).
>
>I'm curious -- what's that?

They intentionally removed the ability to customize theme colors:

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/ubuntu-mate-18-04-no-color-tab-for-theme-customization/17682/16

For someone like me, that's completely unacceptable. As you can see
by the types of color choices I make (as seen in this post that I had
shared in this mailing list before), someone like me could never be
satisfied with default theme offerings:

https://mostlylinux.wordpress.com/2018/07/

It's possible to manually customize the theme in Ubuntu MATE, but you
have to do a delicate CSS dance in multiple files that are in
multiple locations. Not all of the code used for styling is standard
and there's no central documentation for theming from which you can
get the names of every possible available element. That means you
have to do quite a bit of sleuthing.

I've made headway on customizing my copy of Ubuntu MATE 18.04 in a
VM so that it looks good at first glance, but, on close inspection, it
quickly becomes obvious that it still needs quite a bit of work
before every bit of the theme is customized.

The sheer number of hours that I've already put into customizing my
copy of Ubuntu MATE 18.04 combined with the number of hours it will
take to finish the job make it not worth it. Even if I were to go
ahead and do it, one update (or the installation of a program) could
start the whole process over again, which means I'd have to maintain
an ongoing manual theme vigil. Once again, that's just not worth it.

I strongly disliked KDE 5 when it first came out and still find it to
be heavy and somewhat awkward, to say the least, but it looks like
the Kubuntu team has done some work on it since I left them when they
switched to it, so I should be able to find a way to get comfortable
with it now.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.