Filesystem corruption (was: wiped disk - no longer bootable)

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Jul 14 03:28:07 UTC 2019

On Saturday 13 July 2019 16:59:36 Colin Law wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 at 18:01, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net>
wrote:
> >  99% of electricians are male AND nominally 30% of those are
> > color-blind.
>
> Where did you get that figure from? I thought it was about 10%
>
> Colin

I've seen other figures too Colin, some of which are SWAGs for sure, but
this one came from a test kit our schools use, generally in the first or
2nd year for the student.  And after considering that, I did some poking
around at the tv station and I found 8 of our male employees out of a
mixed sex bag of about 55, that had some color problems. So I made sure
those in production or on air switching could read a vectorscope (this
was in never twice same color (NTSC) days for US broadcasting, we've
been digital for 11 years now). This improved our on air color
considerably, and without having to shuffle otherwise talented folks to
someplace where they couldn't hurt us.

And I must say that we had the cream of the talent available in our area
working for us. That was a blessing for me, because I could teach them
the technical details they needed to know so easily.

A little known fact between the usual white person's face or the blackest
person's face, is that while the length of a fuzzy bar on the
vectorscope screen that is the face, may vary some because of the
variable reflection, the color vector that bar points to doesn't vary.
We are all the same color, just different brightnesses.

Your trivia factoid for the day. :)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis