Filesystem corruption (was: wiped disk - no longer bootable)

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Jul 14 02:06:27 UTC 2019

On Saturday 13 July 2019 13:36:31 Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 19:17:02 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 12:59:11 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >>Those normally have a relatively large resistor incorporated in the
> >>lead to wrist strap connection that is large enough to keep you from
> >> a dangerous current thru your body should the other arm accidently
> >> come in contact with the high side of the line power should you be
> >> inattentive enough to not have unplugged it from its power source.
> >
> >Gotcha old man! That's what an isolating transformer is good for :p.
> >Actually there is _no_ f???ing hight side, if you use galvanic
> >isolation :p.
>
> Jaded remark: Theoretically RCCBs and correct wiring might replace an
> isolating transformer. However, in practise it's impossible to unplug
> power sources, if you are troubleshooting hardware and I wish I would
> own an isolating transformer at home, since this is the only solution
> to rule out fatal accidents.

fleabay has been known to have them occasionally, bigger ones generally
honking big toroids. Very quiet, very efficient. Both heavy and drain
your bank account 'spensive.  I bought a 120-240 several years ago,
thinking it would be handy.  Cost me about a buck a pound for trucking,
so I've about two bills in it, Was hopeing the 240 winding had a
centertap, but struck out, the 5th, green  wire must be a faraday or
possibly an ohmic connection to the toroid core which is likely a long
strip of silicon steel wound to make the core since at 60 HZ, ferrites
would saturate and the curie point temp of most ferrites might make for
some interesting effects at higher loads.  So I've only had it hooked up
to test. Weighs right at 70 lbs for a 2kw rating.  And while I do have
240 everyplace I have put permanent power here at the coyote.den, I
still haven't found a permanent use for it.  Thinking sometimes costs me
money. :(

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis