wiped disk - no longer bootable

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Sat Jul 13 13:53:55 UTC 2019

Zitat von Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>:

> Volker, seemingly nobody on this list does use a setup such as yours
> or those who do, don't reply for what reason ever.

This I can understand.  :)

> _Nobody_ contributing to this thread has got the slightest idea, if you
> suffer from a hardware or software issue or if the problem exists
> between chair and keyboard.
>
> It is absolutely ok, if you don't have skills related to hardware, you
> still could have the skills to set up an unusual install.
>
> However, _for troubleshooting purpose do not question the term "KISS"_.
> Indeed, "KISS" is not per se a term that doesn't allow different points
> of view, but in this context "KISS" was explained. I apologize for
> introducing the term "KISS" to this thread. My bad!
>
> If you want to get really useful help, start without doing anything
> that is beyond the skills and/or imagination of those trying to help
> you.

I am setting up, for testing purposes, a vanilla Ubuntu 19.04 system.
Right now it's still unpacking my backup (taking many hours). It's
encrypted, and this incurs LVM. Sounds like a normal setup, since the
encryption is very easy to set up, with the Ubuntu installer. I want
to try to use that system, so the corruption gets triggered, if it's
still there. I have the hope that this works and the corruption
doesn't occur again.

I should have used an LTS release for that, but now it's too late.

"beyond the skills and/or imagination of those trying to help you."
denotes my SSD-as-a-Cache, isn't it? I haven't set up that again yet.
When the system appears to be stable, I'll activate it, in order to
see if that's what causes the corruption.

> We need to know what happens, if you do a completely idiotproof install
> in the first place and then stay with it during the process of sane
> troubleshooting, as long as it makes sense to stay with this install.

Okay... I'll try it with a "completely iditproof install" later, in
case the corruption strikes again.

Bye,
Volker