Filesystem corruption (was: wiped disk - no longer bootable)

Sarunas Burdulis sarunas at math.dartmouth.edu
Wed Jul 10 12:31:34 UTC 2019

On 7/10/19 7:54 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:
>> To replace the BIOS modern
>> mobos, even 10 years old mobos, usually provide an option via USB, if
>> you should have bad luck, then you need a Windows install or at least a
>> DOS live media. You could download the BIOS (update) and a user manual
>> from the mobo vendor's homepage.
>
> What does "option via usb" mean? The mobo downloading the upgrade from an USB
> stick? I've looked around in the BIOS, but haven't seen anything like that.
>
> I also don't know the mobo vendor. There is printed "ASUS M5A7BLLE", or
> something like this, on it. It's hard to read. Is that the vendor and model
> number?

To get BIOS reset/upgrade info you'll need your motherboard's manual.
You can get it from ASUS (https://www.asus.com/support), but you'll need
a model number. As you noticed, it's printed on the motherboard, but can
also be found out from a running Linux system, using 'dmidecode' or
'lshw' and possibly some other utilities. For example:

$ sudo dmidecode|less
... ... ...
Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 15 bytes
Base Board Information
        Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
        Product Name: PRIME X370-A
        Version: Rev X.0x

Motherboard model is 'PRIME X370-A'.

Regarding your HDD and SSD issues, you probably already did this, but
just in case: try replacing SATA cables.

Good luck.

--
Sarunas Burdulis
Systems Administrator, Dartmouth Mathematics