wiped disk - no longer bootable

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Jul 10 12:15:34 UTC 2019

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 10:28:54 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 11:45:05AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via
>ubuntu-users wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 07:56:20 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:

>> >Did these guys go lead free or you know the alloy/ melting point?
>> >How hard is it to get to both sides?
>> >I guess you could hack up the caps, maybe just with pliers,  leaving
>> >just wire and through the holes but that would be a huge mess. Then
>> >just grab the remaining wire with needle nose pliers and
>> >pull it while heating.
>>
>> The heat isn't evenly spread. Even if you try to vacuum of the solder
>> with a professional unsoldering station, you probably would pull the
>> remaining wire and the VIA or as Gene already mentioned, you burn
>> the
>
>Unsoldering a ground plane may be a problem but it gets worse if the
>melting temp of the solder has increased- curious what
>they wave solder these days. Eutectic Pb/Sn would be great but
>the new alloys may even have issues with their interactions
>with the board metal- maybe making them more prone to rip on
>desoldering. For that matter maybe even the flux chemistry matter.
>Even with tight tolerances the facotry inserted leads should be
>pretty straight and allow solder to flow in and then pull the thing
>out.
>I guess if it is a really odd solder chemistry maybe there is a
>selective etch that won't wreck everything nearby.

I don't know anything about the reputation of Liam's friend, but I know
a lot about Gene's and my own reputation. It doesn't matter that much,
since the friend I mentioned, is the kind of technician high-tech
companies likely would hire to unsolder the components from the crashed
space craft they hide in Area 51. Actually he was able to unsolder the
cpas from my power supply. However, he mentioned that it wasn't easy to
unsolder the caps. Btw. the friend told me that the odd
lead-free solder we know from the end of the 90th improved a lot. When
I was forced to use the first lead-free solder working for a studio
audio gear company I was p????d off. It was comparable to using good
solder, but using a 10 Deutsche Mark soldering gun from the
do-it-yourself store. We had solder on our hands, in our faces, but got
unacceptable solder joints.