Filesystem corruption (was: wiped disk - no longer bootable)

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Wed Jul 10 11:54:23 UTC 2019

Am Mittwoch, 10. Juli 2019, 11:50:56 CEST schrieb Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-
users:
> >I haven't touched the BIOS. I also couldn't find an option to restore
> >the BIOS from within the BIOS. How do you restore/upgarde the BIOS?
>
> That depends on the mobo/BIOS. When replacing the battery you usually
> should shortcut two pins to clear everything. Then all settings are
> lost, but the BIOS is still the old BIOS.

I don't have to skill to do that. The battery has been replaced in the
computer shop, where I brought the machine.  I don't know where to look for
the battery, or what pins to shortcut...

> To replace the BIOS modern
> mobos, even 10 years old mobos, usually provide an option via USB, if
> you should have bad luck, then you need a Windows install or at least a
> DOS live media. You could download the BIOS (update) and a user manual
> from the mobo vendor's homepage.

What does "option via usb" mean? The mobo downloading the upgrade from an USB
stick? I've looked around in the BIOS, but haven't seen anything like that.

I also don't know the mobo vendor. There is printed "ASUS M5A7BLLE", or
something like this, on it. It's hard to read. Is that the vendor and model
number?

I don't have Windows, never had.

But could it really be the BIOS, being defective?

I have a different (comparatively small) problem with the BIOS: It doesn't
boot from the first HDD/SSD. There only comes an empty screen with a blinking
cursor. Only when you open the mobo's boot menu, you can select the boot
device and then it boots fine.

Bye
Volker