wiped disk - no longer bootable

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Jul 10 09:45:05 UTC 2019

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 07:56:20 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 09:08:35AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via
>ubuntu-users wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 19:08:21 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >That mobo was simply not repairable because my hot air tools were
>> >burning the foil off the board on one side while trying to telegraph
>> >enough heat to the other, inaccessable side of the board to free the
>> >defective caps.
>>
>> It's possible to heat both sides, unfortunately the VIAs of
>> multilayer PCBs tend to be allergic to too much heat, so it's a game
>> of pure chance.
>
>Did these guys go lead free or you know the alloy/ melting point?
>How hard is it to get to both sides?
>I guess you could hack up the caps, maybe just with pliers,  leaving
>just wire and through the holes but that would be a huge mess. Then
>just grab the remaining wire with needle nose pliers and
>pull it while heating.

The heat isn't evenly spread. Even if you try to vacuum of the solder
with a professional unsoldering station, you probably would pull the
remaining wire and the VIA or as Gene already mentioned, you burn the
PCB and you might damage the conductor path. I tried to solder out
borked caps of my mixing console's SMPS with my less good equipment, a
friend tried at home with a professional unsoldering station from
Weller, it didn't work. At work the friend could use very good
professional hot air equipment and he was able to replace the caps, but
it wasn't easy to do.