wiped disk - no longer bootable

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 21:45:35 UTC 2019

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 at 20:21, Volker Wysk <post at volker-wysk.de> wrote:

> So Gparted is a regular program, not something that is to be booted
> ("Boot Gparted"). That was confusing.

:-o

Yes! How do you normally partition disks?

> I'm trying to repair my SSD (/dev/sdb) now, using GParted. I select
> "create partition table" in the "device" menu. It asks for which
> partition table type to use, but "MBR" isn't listed. "msdos" is the
> default, "gpt" is in the list.

MBR means Master Boot Record. That *is* the MS-DOS partitioning scheme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

> So I just chose GPT. (Googled a little about the difference, and it
> tells you that MBR is just outdated in regard to GPT).

Not at all. Not even a little bit.

GPT is newer, but it is only needed for disks >2 GB, and only UEFI
machines can boot from GPT. (Officially -- there are workarounds, I
believe.)

Macs and Itanium servers use GPT. MBR is more standard on PCs and
works with both BIOS and UEFI.

I generally use MBR for this reason.

I do not want to be rude but I have to ask.

If you do not know basic stuff like this, why are you trying to use
fancy enterprise-server stuff like LVM, cache disks, disk encryption
and so on? This is advanced level, rocket-science stuff!