Backing up Ubuntu

Jari Fredriksson jarif at iki.fi
Fri Jul 5 06:27:58 UTC 2019

Jared Norris kirjoitti 1.7.2019 14:08:

     Good evening all,

     I've been helping my family set up windows and mac machines lately
and been impressed at their backup options. This put me on to looking at
my Ubuntu backup options and I feel a little hard done by in comparison,
which is odd as it's usually the other way around.

     I thought it might just be I don't know all that's out there despite
a few hours poking around online so I thought I'd put it out to you all.
Is there such a thing as a good back up system/s for Ubuntu ? My use
case is to achieve 2 things:
     1 - Incremental file history - if I break a config file or other day
to day file I'd like to be able to go back to a specific file and
restore the single file.
     2 - System snapshot - if I really break things I'd like the
opportunity to reinstall as it was x amount of time before the break

Hello!

I use CloneZilla for disk copies once a year for each of my machines,
works nicely, also the restores.

I use Bacula (FOSS for Linux, can backup Linux, Unix, Mac, Windows
nicely). That runs every night for each of my machines, and take
incremental (daily), differential (weekly), full (monthly). Both
Clonezilla & Bacula are Linux based FOSS products.

br. jarif