Backing up Ubuntu

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 13:25:12 UTC 2019

Using dd, it helps to copy more than the boot sector if you want the boot
loader too.  I used to copy the first 63 sectors in the old CHS days.  Now
with LBA and much larger disks to store stuff, I generally copy the first
megabyte and restore that before anything else.  This has generally worked,
depending on which boot loader and the recovery of the boot loadfer's
targets.

YMMV of course.