Backing up Ubuntu

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Mon Jul 1 18:35:27 UTC 2019

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 11:25:14 -0400, Little Girl wrote:
>Ian Bruntlett wrote:
>
>>> What you want, most likely is supported by rsync, but you first
>>> need to shut down your Linux session and e.g. backup the complete
>>> install from a live media.
>
>>Personally, I use tar. However, I do know of a GUI for rsync called
>>grsync
>
>I scripted my own backups for years, but eventually ended up choosing
>Grsync as my tool of choice for backups. Easy to use and fully
>extensible. It's one of those "set it and forget it" tools.

Good point, this IMO is the ultimate solution for the OP. I've written
backup scripts for my preferred way to backup without rsync, too.

If I were the OP, I would write a script or scripts using rsync.

Why do I have concerns regarding grsync, while I don't have any
experiences using it?

This bug,
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pcmanfm/+bug/1782984, does
not only affects pcmanfm on Ubuntu, it does affect a lot of apps on
Ubuntu and other distros.

While writing this email, I needed to restart Claws on my Arch Linux
install ;). I strongly discourage using any GUI and especially using a
GTK2 based GUI for backups.