How do I move home out of OS partition into a partition of its own

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 22:24:49 UTC 2019

On 25/01/2019, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 at 21:37, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What is the procedure for me to now move the home directories on each
>> system, into partitions of their own?
>
> Are you sure you need to do that?  There are not as many advantages as
> their used to be and there are disadvantages, though some still prefer
> to do this.  Why exactly do you feel the need?
>
> Colin

I wan to do it for a number of reasons, including wanting to move or
copy (to use elsewhere) my pine-> alpine data, including my mail
directory hierarchy, from a desktop computer to a "laptop" computer,
and, to ensure that adequate space exists in the home directory, for
both the existing data (the mail directory is about 20GB, apart from
the configuration files), and, for the data to grow; on one of the
laptops, I have only about 12GB of free space in the home directory.

I also believe that it is better and "cleaner", to separate data
directories, such as the home directory, from the operating system -
better for backing up (which we should do, but we do not do enough),
etc.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale