diagnosing problem with terminal emulator startup in openbox

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 16 22:36:37 UTC 2019

I've been having pretty good luck running bionic beaver from my USB stick and wanted to
clean up the first hacked version so I reformated the stick and reloaded everything trying to
make a script of everything I did.  Generally it worked but I'm getting an odd problem
with the openbox terminal emulator probably because I don';t know how systemd works.

>From root everything is fine, startx opens openbox and the menu choice for emulator acts as expected.
>From user ubuntu, the terminal emulator fails with a message in syslog saying gnome-terminal-server failed.
If I open another tty and type " /usr/lib/gnome-terminal/gnome-terminal-server --display=:0"
then the openbox terminal emulator comes up as expected.

Typing "/usr/bin/gnome-terminal.real -v --display=:0" in the other tty did not appear to work.
nor did playing with the service file .

None of the permissions seemed specific to root and I was not sure how to proceed, I can
write a script to open the terminal server myself as a terrible hack but curious on easiest approach
to fix the problem.

And nouveaiu.nomodeset on command line did seem to fix earlier flicker but the console dimensions
are awful...

Thanks.

note new address
 Mike Marchywka 306 Charles Cox Drive Canton, GA 30115
 2295 Collinworth  Drive Marietta GA 30062.  formerly 487 Salem Woods Drive Marietta GA 30067 404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message 989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency