Right Click run exe with Wine

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 14:09:30 UTC 2019

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 07:42, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
> That is the problem Wine is not there, Bionic "Knows" the file is a Win/DOS exe
> but that's it

Yes, I see you are right.  OK, we have to it the hard way then.
Create a file called wine.desktop in the folder
.local/share/applications and in there put

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Wine
Comment=Run Windows Applications
Exec=wine
Terminal=false
Icon=wine
Type=Application
Categories=Utility;
NoDisplay=true

In that same folder should be a file mimeapps.list.  If it already has
a section [Default Applications] in it then add to the end of that
section
application/x-ms-dos-executable=wine.desktop
If the file is empty (as it may well be) then put in there
[Default Applications]
application/x-ms-dos-executable=wine.desktop

Now wine should be the default app for .exe files.

Colin