Backup and upgrade of running programs

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Jan 1 07:12:13 UTC 2019

Volker Wysk wrote:
> There's something that has troubled me for a long time. When you make
> a backup, or do an upgrade, what happens when the affected programs
> or data are still running or in use? Wouldn't this mean trouble?

> Wouldn't it leave the system, or the backup, in an inconsistent state?

No. The program that is still running is the executable program and the
libraries which were installed at the time the program was started, i.e.
before the upgrade. This is still running in the RAM of the machine,
while the executable and libraries on the disk may be a new version
already. Only if you want to use the new version of the upgraded
program, you have to restart it.

I'm not sure about backups though. I suppose there it depends on the
backup program if you could get troubles.

Nils