lsblk odd results

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri Feb 22 10:10:52 UTC 2019

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 09:45:24 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 at 09:30, Grizzly wrote:
>> Your output was correct but my own case still seems off, the USB
>> sticks "should" not appear as rotational? and that brings the
>> validity of my test(s) into question, I could be wrong about which
>> (if any) of my drives are SSD's but not wrong about the USB sticks
>
>My suspicion is that the system cannot tell whether a USB stick is
>rotational or not (it may be a USB plugin rotational disc or plugin
>SSD), though I may well be wrong and shall not be surprised if someone
>corrects me.

I don't know the reason for it, but at least I can confirm that an USB
stick is shown as a spinning device and that this is issue isn't
related to Ubuntu and/or Grizzly's install.

$ lsb_release -d
$ lsblk --v
lsblk from util-linux 2.33.1
$ lsblk -d -o NAME,ROTA
NAME ROTA
sda     0 an internal ssd
sdb     0 an internal ssd
sdc     0 an internal ssd
sdd     0 an internal ssd
sde     1 an USB stick
sdf     1 an USB HDD
sr0     1 an internal DVD drive

I wonder what would happen, if I would connect an USB SDD.

--
pacman -Q linux{,-rt{-cornflower,,-securityink,-pussytoes}}|cut -d\  -f2
4.20.11.arch1-1