Questions about Ubuntu 18.04 live/install ISO

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 17:01:23 UTC 2019

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 17:47, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> NO! CentOS is *directly* downstream of RHEL ("bug for bug compatible"), *not*
> Fedora...  A Fedora release is the *basis* for a given RHEL release.

That's why I said "indirectly".

You *did* notice the part where I mentioned being a former Red Hatter, yes?

> CentOS / RHEL are LTS distros.

That's not really a term or a thing, but I know what you mean.

This is one of the problems of the RH side of the fence: you get a
choice, either semi-current components, or stability. Not both.

openSUSE Leap is both stable and rather more current than CentOS or
RHEL. You might consider trying it.

> No, CentOS 7 w/KVM has pretty much as hard a time of it, running Ubuntu 18.04.
> It is the old processor in the laptop -- not up to the job.

So use a different hypervisor, then.

> I don't like VirtualBox. It has its own issues (for me). And that is asside
> from download issues over a dialup connection.

Then either replace your laptop, or replace your laptop's CPU.

Hint. I haven't paid more than ~€200  for a laptop in 20 years. You
don't need to spend serious money for capable hardware these days. To
persist in struggling with equipment that can't do what you need is a
false economy. My current Thinkpad X220 cost me £125 just over 2 years
ago and is a highly capable, fast machine.