Questions about Ubuntu 18.04 live/install ISO

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 15:58:52 UTC 2019

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 16:42, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> I don't use Fedora.

CentOS is, indirectly, the downstream of Fedora.

If you need things that are more current than CentOS offers, perhaps
you should try.

> CentOS 7 is not even new enough -- it still uses an "outdated" (ESR) version
> of Firefox and Chrome and Chromium won't run on it.

OK. I have barely tried it myself,  but I will take your word for it.

It might be new enough to run a new enough Linux in a VM, though.

> And Fedora is not a LTS
> release.

I am aware of that, thank you, yes.

>  I have no use for Chrome and don't really care for Chromium either,
> but there are websites that do not work well, expect with bleeding edge
> web browsers.  It sucks, but there is nothing I can do about companies who
> hire overpaid webprogramers who are excessively and unnecessarily "clever"
> (too clever for their own good).  *Some* of these websites I need to use from
> time to time.

TBH, I entirely agree here.

> VMs on my *old* laptop is not really an option -- it does not do
> virtualization very well. (Old Intel mobile chip.)

AFAICR VirtualBox does not _require_ Intel VT, and it will work fine
with VT v1. KVM etc need it and probably need VT v2. May be worth a
look. For desktop stuff  I find it _much_ easier.