Debugging bash scripts.

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Feb 16 18:32:28 UTC 2019

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 19:07:50 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>A last one.

Oops, another last message :D.

I could imagine that a debugger could be useful to fix race conditions,
but actually I don't remember any such complex race condition, that I
ever wished to have a debugger.

I remember that an old script needed a loop

$ cat /usr/local/sbin/alice | grep pppoe_off\( -A4
pppoe_off() {
  echo; poff -a; ip link set enp3s0 down; printf "Progress: "
  while pidof pppd > /dev/null; do printf "."; sleep 3; done;
  echo; modprobe -vr pppoe; echo
}

but it's not complex and STDERR of modprobe most likely informed me about
the issue.