Advice needed for multi-distro, simple configuration methods

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Tue Dec 24 10:41:17 UTC 2019

On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 08:03:17 AM +0000, Colin Law wrote:

> > Would Ansible be better, in this case of mine which is admittedly a
> > bit extreme, be more efficient of one bash script that just goes like:
>
> I can't comment on whether Ansible would be the best as I have no
> experience of the others.

I am pretty sure the other CM systems are an overkill for my own needs. My uncertainty was/is between raw bash, Ansible, or something equivalent to it that I do not know yet.

> However the big advantage over writing bash scripts is the
> idempotent nature of ansible, which means that commands are not run
> unless necessary.

Ouch, yes. This is a big point I had overlooked. Thanks for pointing
it out.

> you mentioned npm, have a look at this module for installing node.js
> packages using npm.
> https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/modules/npm_module.html

Personally, I deeply, deeply dislike node.js. Or, at least, all the
node.js packages I've come across so far. All way harder to install
and debug, no matter what, than stuff done in C, Python, Perl, PHP,
whatever else really. But I probably cannot avoid them in the near
future. So Ansible may be a good way to ease that pain too.

Thanks, further comments/alternative tips by all list members still
very welcome, of course.

Marco

--

M. Fioretti http://mfioretti.com                   http://stop.zona-m.net