Safest way to resize windows partition before installing

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Mon Dec 23 18:55:52 UTC 2019

As I mentioned in another email just moments ago, I just got a
refurbished Lenovo T430 Thinkpad with Windows 7 installed. I have
already tried it with an Ubuntu 19.10 live DVD, and everything seems
OK, so it is time to install. Before going for it, I need to be sure
about the safest way to resize as much as possible the Windows
partition. For several reasons, I have to keep it, but I want it to be
as small as possible, with just the space to keep windows running, and
install its system updates when needed.

I know how to resize partitions during installation, e.g.

https://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-resize-partitions-with-the-ubuntu-or-gparted-live-cd

But I also found this thread that advises against it:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/468508/how-to-shrink-my-current-windows-partition-from-ubuntu

This method of resizing from within Windows, before installing: :

   "Shrink a drive to free up space for linux"

  https://scottiestech.info/2016/03/06/windows-linux-dual-boot-how-to-shrink-a-windows-disk-the-easy-way/

seems safer, but since I know very little about Windows, I thought I'd
ask for confirmation that that method does work without risks before
going for it.

Thanks,
Marco