Ubuntu hardware trends

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 09:13:33 UTC 2019

On 22/12/2019, Andrey Ponomarenko via ubuntu-users
<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> 19.12.2019, 14:42, "Jared Norris" <jrnorris at gmail.com>:
>> On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 at 19:08, Andrey Ponomarenko
>> <andrewponomarenko at yandex.ru> wrote:
>>>  Hello all.
>>>
>>>  This is a new statistical report on Ubuntu-powered hardware based on
>>> Linux-Hardware.org data:
>>> https://github.com/linuxhw/Trends/tree/master/Dist/Ubuntu
>>>
>>>  Thanks!
>>>

>> Hi Andrey,
>>
>> This list is for Ubuntu user technical support...
>>
>> Downloading random software designed to collect and upload unknown
>> information from your computer to someone else's server is a pretty
>> terrible idea in general terms, especially when there are already
>> official packages for the same purpose [1].
>>
>> [1] http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/eoan/man8/hwinfo.8.html
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jared
>
> Hello Jared,
>
> Seems you don't understand the purpose and results of the project.
>
> In general terms, hw-probe just collects hwinfo output in the public GitHub
> repository (after removing all private strings from it). There is no any
> "unknown information" or "someone else's server" here as you can see.
>
> Why not just redirect to a proper mail list or help improve the project?
>
> Please also see https://ubuntu.com/desktop/statistics
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>

> Andrey

Is this the github that is involved in attacks on freedom?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2019-12-07/microsoft-amazon-palantir-github-religious-activism-and-ice/11771028

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/microsoft-owned-github-defends-work-with-ice-employee-resigns-2019-11-1028651077?op=1

I would expect that anyone genuinely involved in FOSS, would avoid
collaborators like (reportedly) github.

It is a bit like actually being a guard at a concentration camp.

And, given that the attacks on the free world, originate from the
russian agent responsible, who is operating from the Out House, the
above data collection scheme appears all the more suspect.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."