How do I tell what's loading all these snap filesystems?

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 7 15:28:56 UTC 2019

hi,
Am Samstag, den 07.12.2019, 15:07 +0000 schrieb Chris Green:
> I've recently upgraded one of my systems to [x]ubuntu 19.10.
>
> I know this pulls in chromium as a snap package and that there's no
> alternative but there seem to be quite a lot of snap filesystems on
> my
> system now.  Are *all* of these a consequence of chromium or is
> something else using snap that I don't know about?  How can one find
> out what's using a snap filesystem?

> So, obviously, chromium accounts for /snap/chromium/958 and the snap
> daemon accounts for /snap/snapd/5306 (but why is there also
> /snap/snapd/5643?).
>
> However what's using those other /snap filesystems, two of them with
> core18 in the name and /snap/gtk-common-themes/1353?  Is there any
> way
> of finding out, from the filesystem name, what package/software is
> creating them?

to make snaps completely distro independent they are running on top of
their "base snap", typically that is a snap called "core" or "core18"
 for ubuntu based snap packages ... it is a separate minimal rootfs the
confined snaps are run in. the tool that manages snaps is called snapd
... and to allow updating it in a rolling way itself is shipped as a
snap ;)

so the core18 and snapd snaps you see are the infrastructure to
actually run snap packages...

snaps have a builtin roll-back mechanism, thus they store always at
least two copies on disk (this is why you see two of each in your list)

to compensate for the overhead of having two copies, they are delivered
as highly compressed squashfs filesystems that get mounted readonly
under the /snap/<snapname> dir  ...

to get info about a snap you can simply use:

snap info <snapname>

for more snap related questions there is also

https://forum.snapcraft.io/

ciao
	oli