Update for UbuntuMATE 16.04.6 broke the GUI

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 16:28:50 UTC 2019

On 25/08/2019, Paul Smith <paul at mad-scientist.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2019-08-25 at 22:03 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>> On both of the two broken systems; 16.04.6 and 18.04.3,
>> sudo adduser
>> returns
>>
>> "
>> adduser: Only one or two names allowed.
>> "
>>
>> then, it returns to the prompt.
>
> adduser, like virtual all POSIX CLI commands, is not interactive: it's
> not going to ask you questions.  Instead you have to provide all the
> information it needs on the command line.
>
> You can use "man adduser", or Google, to figure out what arguments to
> give to the "adduser" command.
>
> However, simpler by far is to use the graphical system configuration
> tool to add users.
>
> On Ubuntu, you can bring up Settings, go to the Details tab, and select
> Users.  You need to Unlock (button at the top) to get admin privileges
> before you can add new users.

Ah, given that the primary problem (the subject of the thread), is
that the GUI is broken, and no panel is present or working, the
suggestion is a bit like "If your car does not start, and can not be
moved, start it and drive it to a service station for assistance"

>> Both (and, all of my Ubuntu) systems are UbuntuMATE.
>
> For administration questions on UbuntuMATE you should be asking on
> forums or mailing lists specifically for UbuntuMATE.  The entire reason
> for the existence of UbuntuMATE is to provide a different desktop
> environment than vanilla Ubuntu, so while most of the applications you
> run will work the same, almost all the desktop administration tools
> will work differently... and we can't help you with that here.

1. No mailing list is available for UbuntuMATE.

2. My observations, over the years, show that this mailing list
provides assistance for any of the variants of Ubuntu Linux. Of
course, I accept correction, if I am wrong ("Mone me si erro").

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."