[Solved ?] How can I transfer photos from my IPhone to my desktop computer?

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 22:05:45 UTC 2019

Hey there,

Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

>Regarding privacy I've got way more concerns related to iCloud, than
>emails.

It's a website using the https protocol and Apple seems to feel that
it's secure:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202303

Security is relative, of course, since there's always the possibility
that someone is working on breaking through or has already done so,
but that's true of any method of communication.

>However, sometimes I used emails and the size limitation very often
>was an annoying issue.

Agreed. I've got a Box account that I use for my blog files and I
often put non-public stuff up there temporarily to share it with
certain others.

>I most likely will write a script wrapping around the commands I
>already mentioned. I'm thinking of a script that does everything
>automatically after a click on a launcher,

That sounds good and may end up being a good solution for the OP
when you finish it.

>the only pitfall I can imagine are Ubuntu flavours and derivatives
>that auto-mount by USB connected iDevices. However, if auto-mount is
>disabled and the packages contain the ID fix, it should be no issue
>to mount all file sharing folders, the DCIM (photo) folder and to
>open a GUI file manager or a terminal by just a single click on a
>launcher, after the iDevice/s are connected. There should be no
>issue at all for a noob.

It's the pitfalls and howevers that are a problem for newcomers or
inexperienced users.

>However, I noticed that I've got a mix of *.JPG and *.HEIC photos on
>my iPad Pro. It should be no big deal to automatically convert all
>*.HEIC to JPEG.

If that would have to be handled manually on the iPad and not by your
script, it could be difficult for a newcomer or inexperienced user.

>A VirtualBox host running a Windows guest should be no issue for a
>noob, too, at least as long as an iPhone is used. For my 1 TB iPad
>Pro VirtualBox sometimes requires maintenance, since the virtual
>machine sometimes runs out of space. This is to complicated for
>newbies.

I have to admit that I've never used VirtualBox on a phone, but if
it's anything like VirtualBox on my PC, I would say it's definitely
not tor a newcomer or inexperienced user. The process of creating
even a basic new Ubuntu virtual machine requires a bit of interactive
configuration, which could easily discourage or overwhelm someone who
isn't familiar with it.

My method of choice for sharing data between most devices (except for
my iPad) is SFTP. There isn't an SFTP client on the iPad by default,
Apple doesn't offer one of their own, and I didn't feel like taking
the time to wade through the app store to figure out which one (if
any) is reliable, secure, and free. Email had already been eliminated
as insufficient, so I figured iCloud was my next best choice for
communicating with the iPad. I think it would make a quick,
relatively easy solution for the OP.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.