Moving to a new computer

Bob ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net
Wed Aug 14 22:06:18 UTC 2019

** Reply to message from Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> on Wed, 14 Aug 2019
22:05:47 +0100

> On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 at 21:29, Bob <ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net> wrote:
> >
> > I need to move Ubuntu to another computer.  Both computers use Intel chip sets.
> > What I want to do is just move the hard drive from one to the other.  I know
> > that all the devices will not be the same so what I want to know is how to
> > update the Ubuntu configuration on the new computer so it recognizes all the
> > devices.
>
> If you are using the intel graphics, and assuming they are both 64 bit
> processors, then there is a good probability it will just go.  Try it
> and see, obviously you have already backed up all important data.
> However you might have trouble getting it to boot with UEFI if the new
> one uses that instead of a BIOS.
>
> Colin

Both computers are 64 bit and UEFI.  So it would be nice if I do not have to
manually do anything.  Will let you know what the results are.

Thanks

--
Robert Blair

Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.  -- James Bovard, Civil Libertarian (1994)