resolv.conf questions

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Aug 13 16:01:28 UTC 2019

On Tuesday 13 August 2019 11:18:06 Colin Watson wrote:

> > Im calling bs on this coverage. DSL may be offered 'virtually
> > everywhere' but only in name. Between ill maintained lines, outdated
> > and weathered lines, dsl isnt not a realistic option. This (my
> > opinion) only applies to the density of cities where there are lots
> > of potential customers for the phone company to target. This is not
> > true outside of cities throughout the midwest. Not with DSL.
>
> https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/us.ht
>ml says that 82.3% of the US population is "urban".  I appreciate that
> that can have a variety of meanings, but is it not nevertheless true
> that most people in the US live in cities?  I think the 90% there is
> meant to refer to population, not land area.
>
> (Note, I'm not talking about fairness here, just about the current
> figures.)

Your figures are a bit optimistic I think. Locally, see:
<https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/lewiscountywestvirginia>
At least 2 of those figures are fudged.  There are quite a few of
Cherokee descent here, I'd estimate closer 10+ percent, and the 67%
claimed as having broadband are probably closer to 45% since they can
get on the net, with a 56k modem that probably doesn't run at full
speed. I'm 11,000 feet from the CO & thats the ragged edge for dsl from
the CO so I didn't get 56k even on a copper dsl circuit. Now I have a
cable modem 10Mb down/2.5Mb up and can get gigabit both ways if I want
to pay for it.

> --
> Colin Watson
> [cjwatson at ubuntu.com]