resolv.conf questions

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Aug 11 16:55:26 UTC 2019

On Sunday 11 August 2019 10:24:37 Tom H wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 6:47 PM Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>
wrote:
> > At Fri, 9 Aug 2019 14:07:43 +0200 <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
wrote:
> >> * high-speed Internet access can be assumed
> >
> > Um... Nope. NOT A GOOD ASSUMPTION. *I* am *still* using Dial-up
> > Internet.
> >
> > *Much* of rural America *does not have* high-speed Internet.
> > Really!
>
> A good assumption, statistically speaking.

While I can get 50Mb from my cable if I want to pay for it, 10Mb is
sufficient for my needs. But I am in a county seat village in WV, USA.

But a friend lives about 40 klicks east and is still served by a mom &
pop who charges by the connection minute when the call goes beyond their
service boundary, she has a 56k modem but the copper is so bad it often
hangs up trying to make a connection to the net provider system in her
county seat of Buchannon, 10 klicks away. She feels like its a good
connection at 2400 baud.

Yes, much of rural America does not have USABLE net speeds. They just
barely have telephone service. Out of the just under a million in this
state, I'd estimate less than 175,000 actually have "high speed"
internet.

The good connections are where the bigger cable operators go, and have
converted their old coax trunk lines to fiber.  That generally stops at
the villages city limits.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis