apt and apt-get

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 9 10:08:25 UTC 2019

On Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 05:14:33PM +0800, Eliza wrote:
> I am running ubuntu-18.04, which has both apt and apt-get for package
> management.
>
> $ apt-get -v
> apt 1.6.10 (amd64)
>
> $ apt -v
> apt 1.6.10 (amd64)
>
> Are these two programs the same one? which is suggested?

"man apt" says:

       apt provides a high-level commandline interface for the package
       management system. It is intended as an end user interface and enables
       some options better suited for interactive usage by default compared to
       more specialized APT tools like apt-get(8) and apt-cache(8).

Both of these programs are relatively simple frontends over the same
library code, so it's safe to use either one, but "apt" has better
defaults and if you're new to the system you should start with that.