Trouble installing Xubuntu 18.04 on brand new Del 17 3000

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 6 10:06:01 UTC 2019

On Tue, Aug 06, 2019 at 11:43:48AM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 at 04:28, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I tried disabling UEFI (and a host of other related settings), but
> > then it won't even boot the Win 10 that came preinstalled.
>
> I think it's not possible to disable UEFI. It's a description of the
> type of firmware and the only way to get rid of it completely is to
> re-flash the machine with replacement 3rd party firmware, e.g.
> CoreBoot.
>
> https://www.coreboot.org/
>
> So I suspect you only disabled SecureBoot or something.
>
> Step 1, try to get Windows back.
>
> Download the ISO from Microsoft.com and put it on a DVD or USB key,
> boot from that, and try system recovery. Failing that, you may have to
> reinstall.

Unless you did reflash the eeproms,
isn't there a "restore factory defaults" option in the bios screen?
I did not check or do not remember with my new Precision but normally
there is an option like that as it sounds like you could not have
done much damage. If the machine is new booting to a recovery
mode should not lose anything even in a bad case.

My 18.04 Beaver stick seems to come up even when I don't want
it to- I leave it in the USB 3.0 connector and have to F12 to the
Ubuntu HD boot ( there is probably some way to change that but too lazy lol).