Trouble installing Xubuntu 18.04 on brand new Del 17 3000

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 02:25:39 UTC 2019

I just picked up a new Dell Inspiron 17 3000 laptopto help my girl
upgrade to a newer piece of hardware.

However, the Dell does not seem to like Xubuntu 18.04 DVD installer.

I tried disabling UEFI (and a host of other related settings), but
then it won't even boot the Win 10 that came preinstalled.

What I did:

1. Inserted my 18.04.1 boot DVD.
2. Powered up the Dell and selected option F12 (boot options)
3. Selected the DVD drive for the boot drive.

The screen goes blank, the drive whirs and clicks for a few seconds,
then nothing.

I know it can take a minute or two for the installer to come up, but
it never does.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Mark