Cloning an EXT4 partition

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 21:00:42 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 3:04 PM Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 at 23:49, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >  It persists in giving me errors with messages that don't make sense:
> File too big when there's plenty of space, for starters.
>
> If you're backing up onto FAT disks, you need to remember the size limits.
>
> On FAT32 a file can only be up to 2GB (less 1 sector), no more.
>
> exFAT allows bigger but it is not enabled by default on most Linuxes
> because it's MS patent protected. Cynically I think this is 1 reason
> they did exFAT -- because they tried to copyright FAT32 but it was too
> late, dozens of 3rd parties had implemented it.

All my backup media are ext4 (maybe an occasional NTFS, but not lately).
So I still don't get it.  Nowadays it's almost always a 4 TB internal drive
in
a USB 3 drive dock, and I formatted it EXT4 myself to give it names that
make sense in my backup scheme.  I have a dozen or so of these.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */