18.04: "untrusted launcher" -- how to make it *permanently* trusted

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.net
Sun Apr 28 19:43:36 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2019-04-28 at 12:11 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
> > I recently upgraded a batch of diskless workstations to Ubuntu 14.04 using
> > DRBL.  Everything is working well, except for one small problem:  We have some
> > launcher files (.desktop) files in the login account Desktop folder, but even
> > though they are chmod +x (and some are in fact direct copies from
> > /usr/share/applications) they come up as "untrusted".  (And yes, they are
> > properly owned by the user and group, etc.).  They work, once you click "Trust
> > and execute", but they become untrusted again on reboot.
>
> OK, some additional web searching shows that this is a "security feature" of
> Gnome3.

Hm.  I've never noticed this, because I never use the desktop or
"Desktop folder".  Here's what I do which is "modern desktop
environment friendly" (not just GNOME but all DEs):

* Move the .desktop file into the ~/.local/share/applications directory
  Now it will be available through the heads-up display etc.  No
  untrusted dialog etc.  You can even enhance it to support right-click
  menus with alternate startups etc.

* You can pin the application to your sidebar as well as you like.

* If you prefer (as I do) to not have to use the heads-up display or
  sidebar, you can install a GNOME extension like Frippery Panel
  Favorites https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/4/panel-favorites/
  This puts the icons for your pinned applications on the top bar so
  they're always visible.

  There are also extensions which allow applications to be launched
  from the desktop although I've never investigated them.

If you're trying to create a "kiosk" like environment I can see how
this would be annoying (although unless you have some other security
features, having desktop applications that are owned by the user on
shared systems seems like a very bad idea).

Maybe you want to look into one of the Ubuntu-based spins that are more
geared towards your use-case.