do-release-upgrade is crashing when going from 16.04 to 18.04

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Apr 27 19:18:20 UTC 2019

At Sat, 27 Apr 2019 15:07:40 -0400 paul at mad-scientist.net wrote:

> On Sat, 2019-04-27 at 13:23 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
> > > For quite a while now Ubuntu has used first dnsmasq, and then systemd-
> > > resolve, and so nscd has been obsolete.
> >
> > Ok, then I need to get rid of systemd-resolve or else disable it.  I have/will
> > have some other 16.04 systems to update, and I know that nscd on 14.04 has
> > always been a pain.  I think the problem is that nscd is not always
> > respecting the LAN-provided DNS server and is wanting to use 8.8.8.8 and
> > 4.4.4.4, which is fine when there is "nothing" on the LAN (no intranet
> > services)...  I don't know if systemd-resolve is any better.  I really want
> > these machines to use the DNS server provided by the DHCP server and not try
> > to play "games" with some kind of machine-local caching DNS server.  The LAN
> > server is *already* caching DNS for the LAN, as well as providing DNS for the
> > mahines on the LAN, including LAN-provided services.
>
> That's fine, but note that a large amount of modern software such as
> Docker, Kubernetes, qemu/etc., VPN networking, etc. all require these
> tools to be installed in order to work properly.  Any type of
> virtualization or container needs to have a virtualized network and
> this requires games to be played with DNS, a local DHCP server running,
> etc.  VPNs need to be able to perform split DNS (typically).  Even some
> wireless/roaming setups that want to be able to access both local and
> global facilities use them.

These are patron workstations in a public library -- most are diskless.  None
of these machines will be running ANY sort of virtualization or any sort of
VPN networking, etc.  The main application that is going to be used is firefox
or chromium, with occasional use of LibreOffice.  *Maybe* one of the kids will
actually fire up the Arduino IDE or even Scratch.

> If you don't need anything more than a basic wired network interface
> with simple DHCP, running without any virtualized networking or
> multiple DNS lookup realms, you can remove these other facilities and
> reconfigure NetworkManager to manage /etc/resolv.conf directly.

Exactly what I need.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933