19.04 upgrade problems

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 26 12:11:40 UTC 2019

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 11:54:48AM +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 10:42:33 +0100
> Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 09:25:39AM +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
> > > sudo apt -f install just gives a help list - is this the correct
> > > command?
> >
> > I've tested this on 19.04 and it works for me.  Please post a full
> > unedited transcript of the output, including the command you typed.
> >

> ~/>sudo apt -f install
> apt
> Usage: apt command [options]
>        apt help command [options]

This doesn't look like either 18.10's or 19.04's version of apt.  Do you
perhaps have some kind of wrapper or local build or something?  What do
the following commands say?

  sudo which apt
  dpkg -S "$(sudo which apt)"
  dpkg-query -W apt

(Yes, I do mean "sudo which" rather than just "which", even though
that's not normally necessary - I want to see the path lookup result
under sudo.)