Encrypted home partition accessible by administrator

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 08:53:45 UTC 2019

On 22/04/2019, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 at 22:25, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I wonder whether logging in as the user and using something like (as user)
>> chmod 007 /home
>> or
>> chmod 007 .
>>
>> (I remember a rather unfortunate case where, in a UNIX unit, some
>> decades ago, a classmate made the rather unfortunate mistake of
>> entering, at the command line,
>> chmod .
>> That dot is what was entered in that command, not a punctuation mark
>> to indicate the end of the sentence.
>> His account could not be recovered. And, it was not me...
>
> Why could an administrator not use sudo chmod to put it back as it
> should be.  Or if that was not possible for some reason then boot from
> a live image, mount the drive, and do it from there?
>
> Nothing of that sort will stop an administrator using sudo to access
> the files, as far as I know.
>
> Colin

Have you tried it?

>From memory, the superuser could no longer access the account, when
the user applied the command
chmod .
as a privilege setting of 00x excluded even the superuserfrom
accessing the account, which is why the account became absolutely
inaccessible.

I had thought that, as it applied to privileges in UNIX, it might
equally apply in Linux.

But, hey, I do not profess to be a Linux expert.

I was simply offering a possible solution.

If you determine to avoid trying the possible solution, then, that is
your prerogative.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale