Encrypted home partition accessible by administrator

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 21:23:02 UTC 2019

On 21/04/2019, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am experimenting with encrypting a users home partition. I created a
> new user using
> sudo apt install ecryptfs-utils
> sudo adduser --encrypt-home username
>
> which appeared to do the job, however I see that when logged in as an
> administrator (not the new user) I am able to browse the encrypted
> files in Nautilus by using the administrators password.  Is that
> supposed to be what happens?  If so how can I make a user whose files
> cannot be seen by any other user?
>
> Colin

I wonder whether logging in as the user and using something like (as user)
chmod 007 /home
or
chmod 007 .

(I remember a rather unfortunate case where, in a UNIX unit, some
decades ago, a classmate made the rather unfortunate mistake of
entering, at the command line,
chmod .
That dot is what was entered in that command, not a punctuation mark
to indicate the end of the sentence.
His account could not be recovered. And, it was not me...
)

--

Bret Busby
Armadale