What's the best way to test mainline Ubuntu without destroying my Kubuntu install?

Christopher Patti feoh at feoh.org
Tue Apr 16 22:08:57 UTC 2019

So as I've whinged about extensively here and elsewhere, I had a terrible, terrible time trying and ultimately failing to get Ubuntu 18.04 and then 18.10 running on my Alienware 17 R5.

I eventually settled on Kubuntu which works great.

However, if I could I'd love to be able to be running mainline Ubuntu Gnome, especially with 19.04 coming.

What's the best way for me to test whether that will actually work these days? Is a LiveCD with no installation enough? Clearly a VM isn't the way to go because then you're getting genericized virtual drivers and not the actual stuff you'd get were you to try to run the OS.

So, livecd? Maybe something with containers? What's the best non  destructive way if it's possible at all?

Thanks in advance!
-Chris
(I'm not willing to modify my partition layout or Grub configuration - I do have partition level backup capability but I'm not sure enough of myself to be 100% confident that I could put humpty dumpty back together again when I tried to restore)