OT: Ethernet to wireless converts

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Tue Apr 16 14:47:20 UTC 2019

On 16/04/2019, Phil <phil_lor at bigpond.com> wrote:
> > I'll be losing my landline soon and will only have access to the
> > Internet via the mobile phone network. I have a video recorder that
> > gets it's programme guide via an Ethernet connection. So what I
> > need is an Ethernet to wireless converter.
> > [...]
> > Also, I have some other devices that are networked to my router via
> > Ethernet cables, the printer is one. I assume that the network will
> > still function without an Internet connection. I cannot confirm
> > that my network will still work by simply pulling out the phone
> > line plug because the router automatically falls back to a mobile
> > phone network connection.

Isn't that EXACTLY what you want and EXACTLY how to test it? Pull the
plug, let it fall back to the mobile connection, check that your
ethernet-connected devices still work. They should.

Your network WILL continue to work locally even in the absence of any
Internet connection, except that (obviously) you will not be able to
connect to anything outside your local network. If you really want to
test it, just pop the SIM out of your router (or pull the 3G/4G dongle
if that's what the fallback uses).

If you use IPv6, you get a prefix dynamically allocated to you, AND
Internet access is interrupted for long enough, devices on your local
link may lose their global unicast addresses. I suspect if that sort of
problem is likely to affect you, you probably already know how to deal
with it.

I'm not sure from your description where you think wireless comes in.
Mobile phone connections such as your router's fallback are often
called "fixed wireless", but they have nothing to do with wifi.

If you have any wifi-connected devices working now - such as (probably)
tablets, laptops or phones - then you do not need any new equipment.
Your router will continue to provide wifi as it does now. This does not
depend on ethernet access either.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D
Old fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75