How to 'do-release-upgrade' from 16.04 to 18.04 remotely using PuTTY?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 13:28:06 UTC 2019

On Sat, 06 Apr 2019 15:43:27 +0300, Dave Nelson <lists at traduction.biz>
wrote:
>On 2019-04-06 15:32, Bo Berglund wrote:
>> Is there no way to upgrade the system to the next LTS version except
>> by hooking up a keyboard and monitor to it (Only VGA video
>> available....)???

>It can indeed be done remotely, and I've done it many times myself.
>
>The only possible hazard would be if your SSH session gets terminated
>during the upgrade and, for some reason, you are unable to log back in.
>But it has never happened to me. As a precaution (possibly unnecessary),
>you could do your SSH sessions from a Linux system. For instance you
>could install VirtualBox and set up a machine on it. It's not difficult
>to do.

I have seen mention of using the screen command to create a "bubble"
withing which the update may continue more safely. But I think that in
the process there might be some interactions needed from the user (me)
so I have to be connected to that screen anyway, I guess....

If I am using screen and the connection fails what happens then?
Does the upgrade continue inside the screen bubble and I could
reconnect SSH and then activate the screen?

OTOH why should it really fail, the Linux box and my laptop are hard
wired on to the same internal network and they sit about 1 m apart...

My problem is that I *want* to update my system but at the same time I
don't want to risk failure since the box acts as a Subversion backup
server being sent nightly updates via svnsync over the Internet.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden