Dual Boot - wireless hardware not accessible

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Sep 20 21:56:29 UTC 2018

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 12:30:49 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 12:29 PM Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 at 19:04, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> >
>> > I never used {,U}EFI Secure Boot in my life. IIUC my BIOS's
>> > settings, it automatically could handle multi-boot of some OS with
>> > and other without {,U}EFI Secure Boot, but I might be completely
>> > wrong with this "guess". My Linux multi-boot doesn't use it at
>> > all.
>>
>> It's not a case of whether you use it or not.
>>
>> It's a setting in your firmware.
>>
>> That error -- "Required key not available" -- means that the setting
>> is on.
>>
>> You need to turn it off, then the error should, hopefully, go away,
>> and your wifi will work.
>>

>Nope. Turned it off, same issue. Reinstalled after purge, same issue.

Since Liam seems to have misunderstood what I've tried to point out, I
wonder by what setting you turned off what thingy.

You might need to enable (turn on) UEFI CSM to chose between maybe

UEFI and Legacy	to allow booting from operating systems that
support legacy option ROM or UEFI option ROM

Legacy only to allow booting from operating systems that only support
legacy option ROM

UEFI only to allows booting from operating systems that only support
UEFI option ROM

I don't have any experiences with this, non of my Linux do care about
UEFI related things and no other operating systems are installed. There
are no issues with using modules build by DKMS on my machine.