Dual Boot - wireless hardware not accessible

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Thu Sep 20 04:59:14 UTC 2018

On 09/20/2018 12:18 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Wade Smart wrote:
>> My nephew has a Lenovo 80K9 with a
>> Broadcom 4352 wireless adapter.
>> He is dual booting W10 and Ubuntu 18.04.
>> He started with Mint, then something else
>> and now Ubuntu. He cant get the wireless
>> to show up at all. In each OS there is
>> only ethernet.
> If the wireless isn't available in Windows, it is not a question if
> Linux supports the Broadcom chipset, like others suggested. I think you
> should check two things:
>
> 1. Is there a hardware switch for wireless? At my Toshiba laptop there
> is a little slide switch at the front and sometimes I have switched it
> off unintendedly.
>
> 2. Check the BIOS if there is an entry to enable / disable the wireless.
>

> Nils

I agree. I have an old Dell laptop that has such a switch. OTOH, I have
a newer Dell laptop (Dell 6510) that has no such switch, and I can't
seem to make WIFI work on it! Don't know if it has Broadcom, and
haven't tried it on Windows. The older laptop has Broadcom, and it was
hell to get it to work on Linux, but it does. Sensitivity is not great.

--doug