replacement or supplement for Nautilus

Gary J. Kirkpatrick garyartista at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 04:16:53 UTC 2018

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 9:56 PM Paul Smith <paul at mad-scientist.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 08:52:48PM +0200, Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:
> > For the first time in the 10 years I have been using Ubuntu I am not
> > happy with the file manager.  I think Gnome removed a very useful
> > feature.  I want to be able to select all the files in a directory to
> > copy or move.  There does not appear to be a way to do so.
>
> This makes me wonder what method you USED to use, that doesn't work
> anymore.  Every way that I've ever known to select all or select a
> group of files still works for me (I assume when you say they removed a
> feature, you mean in Ubuntu 18.04--you don't actually specify which
> version you're using that is missing the feature you're looking for).
>
> C-a for all (as pointed out): this is a common shortcut, like C-c, C-x,
> C-v, so maybe they don't bother to include it in all the different
> shortcut lists.
>
> Or, you can select a subset in list mode by clicking one, then shift-
> click to select all the items between the first and the current, or
> else ctrl-click to multi-select single files.
>
> Or, in icon mode, you can select a rectangular group by click-drag to
> draw a box around the files you want.

Ubuntu 18.04  Most often I used File, Select all.  Control A is just fine,
just unaware of the option.  As I mentioned above it is not in the current
list of shortcuts.

Another useful feature that is now gone is the ability to rotate an image
in Image Viewer.  Did they really have to pare things down that much?

thanks for all the responses!

garyk

--
See my art website and blog <http://garyjkirkpatrick.com>     Facebook