sound control on 18.04

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 22:47:12 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 1:28 AM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yup. I think I will have to switch my home machines, too.
>
> Is there any way to convert an Ubuntu 16.04 install into one of
> Xubuntu 16.04, so I don't get GNOME when I upgrade it?

Can't help you there - I only did a release upgrade once and that was
enough.  Now I always install cold from the distro DVD.  Faster and
cleaner.

For each of 16.04 and 18.04, I bought a new 240+GB SSD, installed it
in as the boot disk and dropped the OS on that drive.  It's fast, and
easily replaced.  And I have a built-in backup should I need for some
reason to go back to 16.04.  Probably - see below.

However, I have /home on another drive, and that has its fun when a
new release doesn't like my old configuration.  I forgot about that
(happened with 14.04->16.04), so I had to battle with it again this
time briefly.   Hopefully I'll remember next time and get it right, up
front.

HTH.
MR

aka:

Mark Richter
Senior Staff Engineer, Solarflare Communications, Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/markrichter1
FSF Member #12694 http://www.fsf.org

(I used to think I had someone about whom to be concerned when using
my real name, but I've recently realized that's just silly, so that's
who I am.)