FTP/sFTP problem

william drescher william at TechServSys.com
Tue Sep 11 10:45:07 UTC 2018

On 9/9/2018 8:41 AM, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Sun, 2018-09-09 at 08:02 -0400, william drescher wrote:
>> As of the upgrade to 16.04 LTS I have been unable to use FTP or
>> sFTP to put files on the server.
>
> You have not said whether the server or your client system was upgraded
> to 16.04LTS. Since changing the client is very unikely to have the
> effect you describe, I'm assuming you upgraded the server.
>
> SFTP is usually done by turning on the SFTP server functionality in the
> sshd daemon (the ssh server).
>
> Look in /etc/ssh/sshd_config towards the end and make sure that this
> line is uncommented:
>
>     Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server
>
> Then restart the sshd daemon:
>
>     sudo systemctl restart ssh
>
> I'd be surprised if it were commented out - I think it comes enabled by
> default. Anyway, first thing to check, maybe a good place to start.
>
> By the way, this is secure enough for a trusted, small group of sftp
> users. If you are running a larger server or have randoms connecting,
> you might want to turn on a few more features like chroot and sftp-
> only. That's an altogether bigger question though :-)
>
> Regards, K.

Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server is uncommented.
Yes, it was the server that was upgraded.  The client is HTML-Kit
tools (a terrific development editor) running under Wini10.
And, yes the group of users is very small - just me and I mostly
trust myself.

what do you suggest for the next step ?
-bill