sound control on 18.04

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 16:03:37 UTC 2018

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 at 15:53, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> if you really like unity and look for low-end HW support but still want
> to use the latest ubuntu underneath, you should take a look at ubuntu-
> mate and the Mutiny plugin that it ships by default ...
>
> it gives you the full unity7 experience but uses mate underneath ...

It's very skin-deep though. As in, it's purely a superficial, cosmetic
resemblance. There are no "Scopes" (not that I used them often), no
full-screen app browser, I think no HUD (not that I _ever_ used that),
etc.

For me one of the wins of Unity was that it was efficient on widescreens:
[1] the app launcher/switcher was nice and big and easily visible, and
on the left, using "cheap" horizontal pixels
[2] the top panel also housed the menu bar, so saving a whole screen text-row.

MATE's "Unity" theme does deliver these 2, it's true, but it feels
like a skin to me.

GNOME 3 fails badly on point #2: the top panel is mandatory, mostly
empty, and mostly useless -- they're even trying to remove most of the
icons and functionality from it.

MATE and Cinnamon fail on point #1 - they have mandatory horizontal
app-switchers, wasting space, and which don't work vertically. You
still need a top panel _as well_.

If a desktop is going to impose a taskbar on me, I want it vertical,
so I can get rid of the top/bottom panel(s) and reclaim the space. I
don't own any devices with 4:3 ratio screens any more. Everything has
a widescreen.

Unfortunately, in MATE, you *need* that top panel, because the other
panel items don't work in the left panel.